There are five steps required to “onboard” (prepare) for the course.
You are required to complete these steps during Orientation Week (12-16 February 2018) in order to be ready for Day 1 of the course on 19 February.
We estimate that completion of these steps typically require less than 30 minutes to complete.
Please view this one-minute welcome message from Reda Sadki, a member of the course team, before you proceed with the instructions.
Note: If you are unable to stream the video on YouTube, you can download this video file (MP4, 6.5MB) to watch offline. (You will find download links for all of the videos on this page.)
1. Discover the three web services that you will use in this course.
In this course, we will be primarily using three web services as tools to support learning:
- Scholar is the course web site where we will be working together. You can work in Scholar at any time, from anywhere. See Steps 3 and 4 below.
- GoToTraining is the software that we will use to meet once a week for the weekly discussion group and other events. See step 2 below.
- WhatsApp is the messaging application that may use to contact the course team throughout the course. Click here to join the WhatsApp group…
Note: You may have already completed the GoToTraining registration (if you participated in the pre-course information briefing) and/or joined the WhatsApp group. If this is the case, you do not need to repeat these steps.
2. Register for the Thursday discussion group
Click here to register… (If you will be connecting from a mobile device, you will need to use Training ID: 683-948-428)
You only need to register once. You will then receive automatic notifications 1 week, 1 day, and 1 hour before each session.
You are required to participate in the weekly discussion group every Thursday at 11h (11 A.M.) London UTC (check time) on these dates: 15 and 22 February; 1, 8, and 15 March.
Each discussion group will be composed of three different segments.
- BEFORE (30 minutes) 10h30–11 UK (UTC): Join 30 minutes before the start of the mandatory session to receive technical support. We will answer questions and walk through the week’s tasks and instructions.
- MANDATORY SESSION (30 minutes) 11–11h30 UK (UTC): Participants will be invited to present orally about their remote partnering plans. The course team and peers will share feedback and guidance. If you have a legitimate reason for absence, you will expected to complete this form before the session, and then view the recorded discussion and complete a catch-up task once the session recording is available.
- WORKSHOP – AFTER (30 minutes) 11h30–12 UK (UTC): The course team will focus one a single participant’s remote partnering plan. All course participants are invited to join the workshop to share their experience and insights.
3. Create your account in Scholar
We recommend that you view the video tutorials before completing Steps 3 (account creation) and 4 (joining the community).
Download the step-by-step guide to create your account and join the Community (PDF)
Click here to begin creating your account in Scholar in Scholar…
- We recommend that you write down the Given Name, Surname, and Username for future reference.
- You will need to recall both the E-mail you used to register and the Password you created every time you log into Scholar.
- Click on Create Account only after you have ensured that you will be able to recall both Username and Password.
Create your account in Scholar (2:19) Download video file (MP4, 30.8 MB)
Confirm your account in Scholar (1:06) Download video file (MP4, 12.5 MB)
Complete your profile in Scholar (3:09) Download video file (MP4, 37MB)
4. Join the Community in Scholar for this course.
After you have created your account in Scholar, you need to join the Scholar Community for this course.
You will need to be logged into Scholar to complete these steps.
- Click here to view the Community…
- If necessary, click on the button in the left-hand menu. (You should have already joined when completing your profile.)
- Bookmark this link so that you can easily view Updates from the course team. This is how you will find the latest instructions and tasks for the course.
5. Once you are in Scholar, send us a message in WhatsApp and download the Remote Partnering Workbook.
- Use this link to join the Whatsapp group reserved for course participants.
- Once your request to join the Community has been accepted by the course team, you will be able to download the Remote Partnering handbook from the SHARES in your Scholar course community. This will be the main resource used in this course.
6. Congratulations, you have finished onboarding!
Once you have completed this step, please note:
- From this point on, everything you need will be found in Scholar.
- You will receive e-mail from Scholar (via email@example.com) to notify you when new updates and comments are posted in the Community.
- Bookmark this link to view Updates from the course team.
- Only the weekly discussion group takes place outside of Scholar (i.e., you will use GoToTraining).
You will find daily Updates in the Community with further instructions.
- You can also comment on each Update.
- Soon you will also learn to post your own Updates!
We recommend that you make it a habit to check-in and ensure that you quickly follow-up on tasks.
Still need help?
If you still require assistance, please contact the course support team by using the form below.